RADIATIVE TRANSFER IN COUPLED ATMOSPHERE AND OCEAN SYSTEMS: THE SUCCESSIVE ORDER OF SCATTERING METHOD
The successive order of scattering (SOS) method is a very useful method because it is based on physical intuition and is easy to understand. Lenoble (1985) contains a large list of references. The method remains an active research area since then (Myneni et al., 1987; Lenoble, 1993). Techniques have been developed to make SOS more efficient (Min and Duan, 2004; Duan and Min, 2005). It is also easy to include polarization with the SOS method (Lenoble et al., 2007). Particularly, it is used to solve the RTE in the coupled atmosphere and ocean systems (AOS) ( ...
- Chami, M., Santer, R., and Dilligeard, E., Radiative Transfer Model for the Computation of Radiance and Polarization in an Ocean-Atmosphere System: Polarization Properties of Suspended Matter for Remote Sensing, Appl. Opt., vol. 40, pp. 2398-2416, 2001.
- Chami, M. and Platel, M. D., Sensitivity of the Retrieval of the Inherent Optical Properties of Marine Particles in Coastal Waters to the Directional Variations and the Polarization of the Reflectance, J. Geophys. Res., vol. 112, C05037, 2007.
- Duan, M. and Min, Q., A Semi-Analytic Technique to Speed Up Successive Order of Scattering Model for Optically Thick Media, J. Quant. Spectrosc. Radiat. Transfer, vol. 95, pp. 21-32, 2005.
- Greenwald, T., Bennartz, R., O'Dell, C., and Heidinger, A., Fast Computation of Microwave Radiances for Data Assimilation Using the Successive Order of Scattering Method, J. Appl. Meteorol., vol. 44, pp. 960-966, 2005.
- Kattawar, G. W. and Adams, C. N., Stokes Vector Calculations of the Submarine Light Field in an Atmosphere-Ocean with Scattering According to a Rayleigh Phase Matrix: Effect of Interface Refractive Index on Radiance and Polarization, Limnol. Oceanog., vol. 34, pp. 1453-1472, 1989.
- Kattawar, G. W. and You, Y., Radiative Transfer for Coupled Atmosphere and Ocean Systems: The Monte Carlo Method, Thermopedia, 2011.
- Kotchenova, S. Y., Vermote, E. F., Matarrese, R., and Klemm, F. J., Jr., Validation of a Vector Version of the 6S Radiative Transfer Code for Atmospheric Correction of Satellite Data. Part I: Path Radiance, Appl. Opt., vol. 45, pp. 6762-6774, 2006.
- Kotchenova, S. Y. and Vermote, E. F., Validation of a Vector Version of the 6S Radiative Transfer Code for Atmospheric Correction of Satellite Data. Part II. Homogeneous Lambertian and Anisotropic Surfaces, Appl. Opt., vol. 46, pp. 4455-4464, 2007.
- Kylling, A. and Stamnes, K., Efficient yet Accurate Solution of the Linear Transport Equation in the Presence of Internal Sources: The Exponential-Linear in Depth Approximation, J. Comput. Phys., vol. 102, pp. 265-276, 1992.
- Lenoble, J., Atmospheric Radiative Transfer, A. Deepak Publishing, Hampton, VA, 1993.
- Lenoble, J., Radiative Transfer in Scattering and Absorbing Atmospheres: Standard Computational Procedures, A. Deepak Publishing, Hampton, VA, 1985.
- Lenoble, J, Herman, M, Deuzé, J. L., Lafrance, B., Santer, R., and Tanré, D., A Successive Order of Scattering Code for Solving the Vector Equation of Transfer in the Earth’s Atmosphere with Aerosols, J. Quant. Spectrosc. Radiat. Transfer, vol. 107, pp. 479-507, 2007.
- Min, Q. and Duan, M., A Successive Order of Scattering Model for Solving Vector Radiative Transfer in the Atmosphere, J. Quant. Spectrosc. Radiat. Transfer, vol. 87, pp. 243-259, 2004.
- Myneni, R. B., Asrar, G., and Kanemasu, E. T., Light Scattering in Plant Canopies: The Method of Successive Orders of Scattering Approximations (SOSA), Agri. Meteorol., vol. 39, pp. 1-12, 1987.
- Press, W. H., Teukolsky, S. A., Vetterling, W. T., and Flannery, B. P., Numerical Recipes:The Art of Scientific Computing, 3rd ed., Cambridge, New York, 2007.
- Suzuki, T., Nakajima, T., and Tanaka, M., Scaling Algorithms for the Calculation of Solar Radiative Fluxes, J. Quant. Spectrosc. Radiat. Transfer, vol. 107, pp. 458-469, 2007.
- Tanaka, A., Numerical Model Based on Successive Order of Scattering Method for Computing Radiance Distribution of Underwater Light Fields, Opt. Express, vol. 18, pp. 10127-10136, 2010.
- Zhai, P., Kattawar, G. W., and Yang, P., Impulse Response Solution to the Three-Dimensional Vector Radiative Transfer Equation in Atmosphere-Ocean Systems, I. Monte Carlo Method, Appl. Opt., vol. 47, pp. 1037-1047, 2008.
- Zhai, P., Hu, Y., Trepte, C. R., and Lucker, P. L., A Vector Radiative Transfer Model for Coupled Atmosphere and Ocean Systems Based on Successive Order of Scattering Method, Opt. Express, vol. 17, pp. 2057-2079, 2009.
- Zhai, P., Hu, Y., Trepte, C. R., and Lucker, P. L., A vector radiative transfer model for coupled atmosphere and ocean systems with a rough interface, J. Quant. Spectrosc. Radiat. Transfer, vol. 111, pp. 1025-1040, 2010a.
- Zhai, P., Hu, Y., Trepte, C. R., Lucker, P. L., and Josset, D. B., Decoupling Error for the Atmospheric Correction in Ocean Color Remote Sensing Algorithms, J. Quant. Spectrosc. Radiat. Transfer, 111, no. 12-13, pp. 1958-1963, 2010b.
- Zhai, P. and Hu, Y., Radiative Transfer for Coupled Atmosphere and Ocean Systems: Overview, Thermopedia, 2011.