METAL-COATED POLYMER FIBERS IN INFRARED AND MICROWAVE
In one of the earlier publications on the computational analysis of the radiative properties of fibrous materials by Wang and Tien (1983), it was shown that material made of aluminum fibers of about 0.1 μm diameter may have a very high absorption coefficient. A considerable reduction of the radiative conductivity of a material made of thin fibers with high electrical conductivity was also discussed by McKay et al. (1984). Because it is very difficult to manufacture metallic fibers of such thinness, attempts were later made at applying a metal coating to glass or polymer fibers (Reiss et al., 1987). Information on experimental investigations in this field can be found in the review p ...
You need a subscription to view the full text of the article.
- Barabas, M., Scattering of a Plane Wave by a Radially Stratified Tilted Cylinder, J. Opt. Soc. Am., vol. 4, no. 12, pp. 2240-2248, 1987.
- Born, M. and Wolf, E., Principles of Optics, Seventh (expanded) edition, Cambridge University Press, New York, 1999.
- Brennon, R. R. and Goldstein, R. J., Emittance of Oxide Layers on a Metal Substrate, ASME J. Heat Transfer, vol. 92, no. 2, pp. 257-263, 1970.
- Büttner, D., Kreh, A., Fricke, J., and Reiss, H., Recent Advances in Thermal Superinsulations, High Temp.-High Press., vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 39-50, 1989.
- Cunnington, G. R. and Tien, C. L., Heat Transfer in Microsphere Cryogenic Insulation, Advances in Cryogenic Engineering, vol. 18, Timmerhaus, K. D. (ed.), Plenum Press, New York, 1973.
- Caps, R., Arduini-Schuster, M. C., Ebert, H. P., and Fricke, J., Improved Thermal Radiation Extinction in Metal Coated Polypropylene Microfibers, Int. J. Heat Mass Transfer, vol. 36, no. 11, pp. 2789-2794, 1993.
- Dombrovsky, L. A., Radiative Properties of Metalized-Fiber Thermal Insulation, High Temp., vol. 35, no. 2, pp. 275-282, 1997.
- Dombrovsky, L. A., Calculation of Radiative Properties of Highly Porous Fibrous Materials, in â€œHeat Transfer in Modern Engineeringâ€, Inst. High Temp., pp. 279-291, 1998a (in Russian).
- Dombrovsky, L. A., Infrared and Microwave Radiative Properties of Metal Coated Microfibers, Rev. Gener. Therm., vol. 37, no. 11, 925-933, 1998b.
- Ebert, H. P., Arduini-Schuster, M. C., Fricke, J., Caps, R., and Reiss, H., Infrared-Radiation Screens Using Very Thin Metallized Glass Fibers, High Temp.-High Press., vol. 23, no. 2, pp. 143-148, 1991.
- Lee, S.-C., Effect of Fiber Orientation on Thermal Radiation in Fibrous Media, Int. J. Heat Mass Transfer, vol. 32, no. 2, pp. 311-319, 1989.
- Lee, S.-C. and Cunnington, G. R., Theoretical Models for Radiative Transfer in Fibrous Media, Annual Review in Heat Transfer, vol. 9, Tien, C. L. (ed.), Begell House, New York and Redding, CT, pp. 159-218, 1998.
- Lenham, A. P. and Treherne, D. M., Optical Constants of Single Crystals of Mg, Zn, Cd, Al, Ga, In, and White Sn, J. Opt. Soc. Am., vol. 56, no. 6, pp. 752-756, 1966.
- Lingart, Yu. K., Petrov, V. A., and Tikhonova, N. A., Optical Properties of Synthetic Sapphire at High Temperatures. II. Properties of Monocrystal in Opacity Region and Melt Properties, High Temp., vol. 20, no. 6, pp. 1085-1092, 1982.
- McKay, N. L., Timusk, T., and Farnworth, B., Determination of Optical Properties of Fibrous Thermal Insulation, J. Appl. Phys., vol. 55, no. 11, pp. 4064-4071, 1984.
- Ordal, M. A., Long, L. L., Bell, R. J., Bell, S. E., Bell, R. R., Alexander, Jr., R. W., and Ward, C. A., Optical Properties of the Metals Al, Co, Cu, Au, Fe, Pb, Ni, Pd, Pt, Ag, Ti, and W in the Infrared and Far Infrared, Appl. Opt., vol. 22, no. 7, pp. 1099-1119, 1983.
- Reiss, H., Radiative Transfer in Nontransparent Dispersed Media, High Temp.-High Press., vol. 22, no. 5, pp. 481-522, 1990.
- Reiss, H., Schmaderer, F., Wahl, G., Ziegenbein, B., and Caps, R., Experimental Investigation of Extinction Properties and Thermal Conductivity of Metal-Coated Dielectric Fibers in Vacuum, Int. J. Thermophys., vol. 8, no. 2, pp. 263-280, 1987.
- Swathi, P. S., Tong, T. W., and Cunnington, Jr. , G. R., Scattering of Electromagnetic Waves by Cylinders Coated with a Radially-Inhomogeneous Layers, J. Quant. Spectrosc. Radiat. Transfer, vol. 46, no. 4, pp. 281-292, 1991.
- Tien, C. L. and Cunnington, G. R., Recent Advances in High-Performance Cryogenic Thermal Insulations, Cryogenics, vol. 12, no. 6, pp. 419-421, 1972.
- Wang, K. Y. and Tien, C. L., Radiative Heat Transfer Through Opacified Fibers and Powders, J. Quant. Spectrosc. Radiat. Transfer, vol. 30, no. 3, pp. 213-223, 1983.