RADIATIVE TRANSFER IN COMBUSTION PHENOMENA AFFECTED BY RADIATION
Following from: Radiative transfer in combustion systems
Leading to: Radiative transfer in laminar flames; Radiative transfer in turbulent flames; Radiative transfer in combustion chambers; Radiative transfer in two-phase combustion; Thermal radiation in unwanted fires
A number of physicochemical phenomena encountered in combustion systems are influenced by radiation. Some of the phenomena such as ignition of solids, burning velocity, flammability, extinction, flame quenching, flame spread, etc., have been recognized for some time (Gaydon and Wolfhard, 1979), while others such as the effect of radiative transfer on the flame structure itself have not been discussed in combustion textbooks (Williams, 1985; Kuo, 1986; Turns, 2000). For example, in diffusion flames, the flame structure depends on the energy release, rates of transport of fuel and oxidizer, and rates of heat transfer to the flame front. H ...
You need a subscription to view the full text of the article.
- Amos, B. and Frenandez-Pello, A. C., Model for Ignition and Flame Development on a Vaporizing Combustible Surface in a Stagnation Flow: Ignition by Vapor Fuel Radiation Absorption, Combust. Sci. Technol., vol. 62, pp. 331-334, 1988.
- Babrauskas, V., Ignition Handbook, Fire Science Publishers, Issaquah, WA, 2003.
- Baek, S. W., Kim T. Y., and Kaplan, C. R., Ignition Phenomenon of Solid Fuel in a Confined Rectangular Enclosure, Int. J. Heat Mass Transfer, vol. 40, pp. 89-99, 1997.
- Chan, S. H., Combined Radiation and Combustion, Annual Review of Heat Transfer, Vol. 14, C. L. Tien (ed.), Begell House, New York and Redding, CT, pp. 49-64, 2005.
- Gaydon, A. G. and Wolfhard, H. G., Flames, 4th ed., Chapman and Hall, London, 1979.
- Han, C. Y. and Baek, S. W., Radiation Ignition of Volatile Gases on a Vertical Fuel Plate, Combust. Sci. Technol., vol. 109, pp. 309-325, 1995.
- Kuo, K. K., Principles of Combustion, Wiley, Hoboken, NJ, 1986.
- Kwon, G. H., Baek, S. W., and Sohn, Y. M., Ignition of Solid Fuel by Thermal Radiation in Confined Rectangular Enclosure: Experiment and Numerical Analysis, Combust. Sci. Technol., vol. 165, pp. 85-110, 2001.
- Ju, Y., Guo, H., Liu, F., and Maruta, K., Effects of the Lewis Number and Radiative Heat Loss on the Bifurcation and Extinction of CH4/O2-N2-He Flames, J. Fluid Mech., vol. 379, pp. 165-190, 1999.
- Maruta, K., Yoshida, M., Guo, H., Ju, Y., and Niioka, T., Extinction of Low-Stretched Diffusion Flame in Microgravity, Combust. Flame, vol. 112, pp. 181-187, 1998.
- Olson, S. L. and Tien, J. S., Buoyant Low-Stretch Diffusion Flames Beneath Cylindrical PMMA Samples, Combust. Flame, vol. 121, pp. 439-452, 2000.
- Rhatigan, J. L., Bedir, H., and T’ien, J. S., Gas-Phase Radiative Effects on the Burning and Extinction of a Solid Fuel, Combust. Flame, vol. 112, pp. 231-241, 1998.
- T’ien, J. S. and Bedir, H., Radiative Extinction of Diffusion Flames--A Review, Proceedings of 1st Asia-Pacific Conference on Combustion, May 12-15, Osaka, pp. 345-352, 1997.
- Turns, S. R., An Introduction to Combustion, 2nd ed., McGraw-Hill, New York, 2000.
- Viskanta, R., Radiative Transfer in Combustion Systems. Fundamental and Applications, Begell House, New York and Redding, CT, 2005.
- Williams, F. A., Combustion Theory: The Fundamental Theory of Chemically Reacting Flow Systems, 2nd ed., Benjamin/Cummings Publishing, Menlo Park, CA, 1985.