RADIATIVE EFFECTS IN A SEMI-TRANSPARENT LIQUID CONTAINING GAS BUBBLES
Following from: Radiative transfer problems in nature and engineering
The problem treated in this section arises in the case of water cooling of very hot surfaces. A practical example is provided by the delivery of water to the surface of the corium pool in the case of a nuclear reactor severe accident as reported by Bechta et al. (2000). Because of high temperature (2000-3000 K), the main part of the thermal radiation of the pool surface is in the near infrared, where water is semi-transparent. As a result, a considerable part of the radiation is absorbed not in the thin surface layer of water but in the volume far enough from the interface (Dombrovsky, 2003, 2004). The volume heat source can lead to generation of vapor bubbles, which affect the radiation transfer. In the complete physical problem statement, one should take into ...
Necesita una suscripciÃ³n para ver el texto completo del artÃculo.
- Baillis, D. and Sacadura, J.-F., Thermal radiation properties of dispersed media: theoretical prediction and experimental characterization, J. Quant. Spectrosc. Radiat. Transf., vol. 67, no. 5, pp. 327-363, 2000.
- Bechta, S. V., Vitol, S. A., Krushinov, E. V., Granovsky, V. S., Sulatsky, A. A., Khabensky, V. B., Lopukh, D. B., Petrov, Yu. B., and Pechenkov, A. Yu., Water boiling on the corium melt surface under VVER severe accident conditions, Nucl. Eng. Des., vol. 195, no. 1, pp. 45-56, 2000.
- Bynum, R. T., Jr., Insulation Handbook, New York: McGraw-Hill, 2001.
- Dombrovsky, L. A., Radiation Heat Transfer in Disperse Systems, New York: Begell House, 1996a.
- Dombrovsky, L. A., Approximate methods for calculating radiation heat transfer in dispersed systems, Therm. Eng., vol. 43, no. 3, pp. 235-243, 1996b.
- Dombrovsky, L. A., Radiation transfer through a vapour gap under conditions of film boiling of liquid, High Temp., vol. 41, no. 6, pp. 819-824, 2003.
- Dombrovsky, L. A., The propagation of infrared radiation in a semitransparent liquid containing gas bubbles, High Temp., vol. 42, no. 1, pp. 133-139, 2004.
- Hale, G. M. and Querry, M. P., Optical constants of water in the 200 nm to 200 μm wavelength region, Appl. Opt., vol. 12, no. 3, pp. 555-563, 1973.
- Hibiki, T. and Ishii, M., Development of one-group interfacial area transport equation in bubbly flow systems, Int. J. Heat Mass Transfer, vol. 45, no. 11, pp. 2351-2372, 2002.
- Hibiki, T., Situ, R., Mi, Y., and Ishii, M., Modeling of bubble-layer thickness for formulation of one-dimensional interfacial area transport equation in subcooled boiling two-phase flow, Int. J. Heat Mass Transfer, vol. 46, no. 8, pp. 1409-1423, 2003.
- Fedorov, A. G. and Viskanta, R., Radiative transfer in a semitransparent glass foam blanket, Phys. Chem. Glasses, vol. 41, no. 3, pp. 127-135, 2000.
- Fedorov, A. G. and Pilon, L., Glass foams: Formation, transport properties, and heat, mass, and radiation transfer, J. Non-Cyst. Solids, vol. 311, no. 2, pp. 154-173, 2002.
- ÖziÃ Å¸ik, M. N., Radiative Transfer and Interaction with Conduction and Convection, New York: Wiley, 1973.
- Richter, K., Norris, P. M., and Tien, C.-L., Aerogels: Applications, structure, and heat transfer phenomena, Annu. Rev. Heat Transfer, vol. 6, pp. 61-114, 1995.
- Shelby, J. E., Introduction to Glass Science and Technology, 2nd ed., Cambridge, UK: The Royal Society of Chemistry, 2005.
- Siegel, R. and Howell, J. R., Thermal Radiation Heat Transfer, 4th ed., New York: Taylor & Francis, 2002.
- Skripov, V. P., Metastable Liquids, New York: Wiley, 1974.
- Tien, C. L. and Drolen, B. L., Thermal radiation in particulate media with dependent and independent scattering, in Annual Review of Numerical Fluid Mechanics and Heat Transfer, vol. 1, pp. 1-32, New York: Hemisphere, 1987.