Radiation of an Isothermal Plane-Parallel Layer
Following from: P1 approximation of the spherical harmonics method, The simplest approximations of double spherical harmonics, Solutions for one-dimensional radiative transfer problems
Leading to: An estimate of P1 approximation error for optically inhomogeneous media, Radiation of a nonisothermal layer of scattering medium, Diffusion approximation in multi-dimensional problems
The radiative transfer equation (RTE) for a homogeneous plane-parallel layer of an emitting, absorbing, and scattering isothermal medium with an azimuthally symmetric radiation field can be written in the following dimensionless form:
Dimensionless quantity ω is called the albedo of a medium, or Schuster number. For brevity, subscript λ is omitted in designations of I, τ, ξ, and ω. The boundary conditions in s ...
- Abramowitz, M. and Stegun, I. A., eds., Handbook of Mathematical Functions, New York: Dover, 1965.
- Bohren, C. F. and Huffman, D. R., Absorption and Scattering of Light by Small Particles, New York: Wiley, 1983.
- Case, K. M. and Zweifel, P. F., Linear Transport Theory, Reading, MA: Addison-Wesley, 1967.
- Dombrovsky, L. A., Calculation of radiation heat transfer in a plane-parallel layer of absorbing and scattering medium, Fluid Dyn., vol. 7, no. 4, pp. 691â€“695, 1972.
- Dombrovsky, L. A., Radiation Heat Transfer in Disperse Systems, New York: Begell House, 1996.
- Korn, G. A. and Korn, T. M., Mathematical Handbook for Scientists and Engineers, 2nd ed., New York: McGraw-Hill, 1968.
- Korn, G. A. and Korn, T. M., Mathematical Handbook for Scientists and Engineers, 2nd ed., New York: Dover, 2000.
- Love, T. J. and Grosh, R. J., Radiative heat transfer in absorbing, emitting and scattering media, ASME J. Heat Transfer, vol. 87, no. 2, pp. 161â€“166, 1965.
- van de Hulst, H. C., Light Scattering by Small Particles, New York: Wiley, 1957.
- van de Hulst, H. C., Light Scattering by Small Particles, New York: Dover, 1981.